19 February, 2008

Breakable



I'm not sure if you've heard her name before, but you've definitely heard her songs. In fact, if you watch any Old Navy commercials, you know "the Sweater Song" (even thought that isn't it's official title). I am addicted to Ingrid Michaelson because of a generous gift from one of my fave friends Sarah for Valentine's Day. What is amazing to me is how much music stills and quiets my heart more than anything else, especially on a day when it seems to turn my heart upside down.

But, enough about me.... let's talk about Ingrid.

She sang on Joshua Radin's latest release (who also has a great hit "Amy's Song"- wonder why I love that one). She's circled the talk show circuit, spending lots of time on Good Morning America and Jimmy Kimmel this week. One of her more popular songs "Keep Breathing" was a key feature on the end of Season 3 of Grey's Anatomy... (Yeah, you remember the part - Christina, after Burke left her, trying to tear her wedding dress off so that she could breathe. That was powerful!)

What I love about her is her genuine transparency. She has an ability to convey so much feeling and emotion in so little words. Her melodies flow back and forth, allowing you to enter in the music and let it wash over you. There is a keen truth and honesty in her lyrics and a strength in her voice that resonates. She talks about good and bad, strength and weakness. All in all, I haven't been able to get her album off of my iPod. And the awesome thing: She did it all by herself. No label, just Ingrid. Selling her love on iTunes.

So, here's the track that has been in my head this week. I think it speaks to a lot of people I know... myself included at times.

Breakable

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts?
Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts.
So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess,
And to stop the muscle that makes us confess.

And we are so fragile,
And our cracking bones make noise,
And we are just,
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

You fasten my seatbelt because it is the law.
In your two ton death trap I finally saw.
A piece of love in your face that bathed me in regret.
Then you drove me to places I'll never forget.

And we are so fragile,
And our cracking bones make noise,
And we are just,
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

And we are so fragile,
And our cracking bones make noise,
And we are just,
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls-
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls-
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is my favorite song off that album! I listened to it over and over again when I first heard it. Brilliant lyrics.

Dayo said...

Hey Amy. Shout out from another twenty-someone (I like that). So you DID move to Nashville, good for you (genuine feelings of happiness mixed with 10% envy).

I'll check out Ingrid and keep tabs on this blog. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one drifting in the fog of life (honesty). Maybe it's an epidemic, they should come up with a pill (sarcasm). Or maybe start by lowering the cost of Master degrees (trying to be helpful).

Take care.

Peter (co-intern from EMI CMG)

Mandy said...

HEY FRIEND! I love reading what you have to say...I am sure grateful for you! I am excited to catch up with you this weekend! love you lots, m

annaelyse said...

so great! love her! also random. josh radin's gf or ex gf is schuyler fisk. check her out. people say i look like her. it blesses me! ha. you're probs all over her but another fav is rosie thomas! my word. her voice is incredible.

oh-i never got around to baking. i know story of my life. making plans and running out of time to actually do them. we do need to catch up though! miss you!